Sunday 16 October 2011

Not that I'm jealous or anything...


My nieces were sick this week. Very sick. The kind where you vomit profusely and spend the day on the settee under a duvet. There is something wonderful about these days that is lost on you once you become an adult. I remember them from my own childhood, vividly. There were so many pleasures to the sickness, first the excitement of having the settee to yourself – with covers (I’m older so duvets didn’t exist in my childhood days). Secondly the collection of books - Malory Towers, St Clare’s, Secret Seven – you could read as many as you liked and in any order. Maybe even comics.
            And then there was the television. I dared a visit to my nieces (on their second sick day) and there they were, like an image of my former self, on the settee, snuggled under duvets and watching Aesop’s Theater (yes that is how it was spelt). And this was where the vision shattered.
            I too got the television. In the mornings this meant Open University – a man (usually bearded), with a blackboard and lots of chalked sentences that meant nothing to me but contained lots of squiggles (e.g. 3±7(xy)24), sometimes he’d have a whole blackboard full of these and would get very excited by the time he’d got to the end
            After Open University you could watch BBC Schools programmes, and I could learn to tell the time before the programme started and develop my social skills (see video). This, you will see, is why sick children of the 70s are blessed with patience.


            Then the programming turned to the adults and I could watch Pebble Mill at One (which is probably why my favourite band was Showaddywaddy). 

 
And then, when you were just thinking you could get used to being sick, spending time with your mum and the television - you got The Test Card.

Not just for a minute or two - this was for hours… and you really, really wanted to get better so that you could get up and walk to the TV to shut the thing up.

This was written for all those who can remember days before 24 hour cartoons/news/cookery/comedy/films and remote controls…

4 comments:

daddy-robert.blogspot.com said...

What? You had a colour telly? You were lucky. We had a block and white set. Why on earth "Pot Black" was one of the most popular programmes I'll never understand.

Claireybelle said...

The clips are cool. Just what I remember. But you didn't mention burnt toast and hot water with sugar and salt in it!! Those things took the joy away for me!

daddy-robert.blogspot.com said...

Claire
"Joy" is ephemeral.
In contrast, sugar and salt are vital components.
I'm an economist (unlike the current Chancellor), but for confirmation ask pater, or look to the Bible.
If you take away carbon and the family of nitrates, you end up with a fairly bland mush.
Burnt toast is another story.
Lynne has an Honours degree in it!

plin said...

I tried to write last night and failed( I tried via HTC) anyway,my comment was Lovely lovely,you brought back lots of memory's which is a really good thing for someone my age, they always need a nudge,and I still love that group.