Sunday 2 October 2011

Saddened by the Pull of a Cork


Up until a few months ago Rob and I relied on each other for certain things. I needed Rob for opening wine and he needed me for surfing the internet, we were constantly saying to one another,
‘And what will you do if I die?’
 I’ve had one of my favourite Sunday afternoons – made chicken stock, French bread, cereal bars and poached pears ready for dessert (they’re currently steeping in a nicely thickened liquor which I prepared from fortified wine, sugar and a touch of arrowroot). During this culinary extravaganza I selected a wine from our last French trip and, with remarkable deftness of hand, used the corkscrew (wine waiter variety, those pump-action all singing all dancing ones will not do for us) and decanted the wine.
            Then I remembered how I came home the other day to find Rob surfing the net – on my computer – no assistance required.
            And I felt a touch saddened by our independence.

I thought I’d finish the week with a really tasty and tremendously easy pasta dish. The beauty of this dish is it is very quick, very easy and extremely nutritious, packing all those wonderful Omega oils into one delicious meal.
Recipe: Artichoke and Salmon Spaghetti
Source: Originally inspired by a ‘Good Food Magazine’ recipe
Ingredients:
Jar of artichokes in oil
Tin of salmon
Broccoli (cut into small florets)
Cherry tomatoes
Black olives (optional)
Here’s What I Do
Nothing (ha, this is one of Rob’s creations)! If you want to make it, empty your jar of artichokes with oil into a medium sized pan (you need one with a tightly fitting lid). Into the same pan put the tomatoes and the broccoli florets. Put on the lid and cook over a medium heat – the oil will steam the broccoli. This should take about 20 minutes but make sure your artichokes don’t start to burn.
            Meanwhile prepare your spaghetti (as per pack instructions). Drain your tin of salmon and remove any big bones, chopping the flesh into large chunks. Put the salmon (and olives if using) into the artichoke pan for the last 5 minutes.
            Serve your spaghetti onto warmed plates, putting the artichokes etc on top and ensuring that you drizzle all the lovely juices over.

5 comments:

daddy-robert.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the recipe Rob
I have a couple of jars of artichokes in oil that I bought 6 months ago, and want to begin to use them up before they reach their sell by date (although that's never stopped me in the past).
As a boy I used to think that salmon only came in tins. The recipe smells good.

Pixie Dancer said...

There is sad and there is also sad...this is definitely the latter...I was reminded of 'Born Free' where Elsa the lioness is finally able to runs loos and free, fullfilling her trus lion destiny by roaming the African plains, with not a dry eye in the house...having said that she came back three days later and gnawed Joy Adamson's leg off...there is a lesson for us all here

plin said...

Yes that really is sad.The recipe looks good. Actually I think your accident on the bike was sad too. What is really joyful though is this blog. It was lovely being at your house on Friday,I think that should be the Venue every week,the quiet is the best thing.Right now I am suffering the sound of some kind of drill don't know where it is coming from but I will be happy when it stops

Carolyn Cornthwaite said...

That's very true Pixie Dancer, though I have to admit I have never watched 'Born Free'.
I have titled my next post in the same fashion.
Carolyn

daddy-robert.blogspot.com said...

Plin, I find your analysis really shocking. Pixie Dancer talked about gnawing Joy Adamson's leg off and you tell me about the recipe!How can you be joyful?