Friday 19 August 2011

Game Three - so my sister has never been consternated before...


Although she did tell me that she had been - she was in church and it was to do with affirming her allegiance to Christ. This led me to the alphabet game – and to wondering if the difficulty of the harder letters is compounded by a full grasp (or lack of grasp) of our wonderful and varied language?
            Ah well, I was consternated yesterday. For those of you who know me well I plan my meals in advance, write accurate shopping lists and have very little waste (and what there is is consumed by our pigs so there’s a bit of a full cycle going on there anyway). At some time going up to five, having spent too long writing I fear, I decided to check the rudiments of my planned menu – a Chicken Saltimbocca (I know – not necessarily politically correct given yesterday’s blog but I did tell you I plan my menus in advance). To my mounting horror and dismay, I found that the only ingredient I had got right was the chicken – how could this be? Where did the basil and the prosciutto come in? Why hadn’t I bought white beans and cherry tomatoes? What about that lovely bottle of Marsala waiting to be used in complement of my beautiful ingredients?
            Ever the prepared chef, I managed to find a carton of chick peas and one of chopped tomatoes which I figured would suffice (yes they can be bought in cartons now – more easily recycled and better for you too – if you’re the kind of person who likes to use half and then stow it in the fridge). Just as I was reassembling my thoughts and calming my madly beating heart I had a moment of enlightenment (these are more frequent since I started practising Pranayama each morning). Could I be reading the wrong recipe?
            Indeed… where I should have been is in my Good Food Healthy Recipes App (iPhone users click here). Now I could proceed using my planned ingredients and – the food was as delicious as expected. So much so that I thought I’d share the recipe with you today.
Chicken Saltimbocca with Basil Mash
Ingredients:
2 skinless chicken breast fillets taken from a full bird
Basil
Prosciutto
Olive Oil
2tbsp Marsala (I use Madeira because I love it and I have it in)
100ml chicken stock
Potatoes (however many you normally use for mash)
Milk
1tbsp grated Parmesan
Method:
(Here’s how I do it)
Chop your potatoes and cook in boiling water (no need to season as you’re adding the parmesan later). When cooked you should mash with the milk (you should warm this if you can be bothered – the potatoes stay hotter) and then add the parmesan (I add more than the recipe states – I love it), finally stir through some finely torn basil (I never chop it but you can do if you wish).
            Meanwhile add a small amount of oil to a preferably non-stick frying pan (it’s just easier if you have a non-stick). In this fry off four basil leaves and two pieces of prosciutto until crisp (the leaves will probably need turning). Put these on a plate to one side. Now add some more oil and brown your chicken on both sides. (Please do not buy chicken breast pieces – they charge you a fortune for the privilege and you’re far better to buy a full, free-range bird. Two hungry eaters can get two main meals plus a hearty stock or soup from one full bird so it makes much more sense.)
            When the chicken is nicely browned add the Marsala (or Madeira or any similar alcohol you like) and let this bubble away – I don’t bother with measuring, I just put in what I think, you just bubble if for longer if you add too much. When it is thicker add your stock (preferably home-cooked from your last carcass) and turn the pan to a simmer until the chicken is cooked through – you may need to add more stock so have some ready in case.
            When the chicken is cooked you can start to plate up, putting two basil leaves and a piece of ham on each fillet. Make the mash look nice and maybe add some fried courgettes or steamed broccoli. Meanwhile bubble that liquid until it is nicely thickened and coat the plates. There should no need to season this liquid – the salt from the ham has already flavoured the pan and there is probably salt in your stock.
            Enjoy with some good wine and  conversation.

Now, binary – ah, I think I must leave that until tomorrow, I’ve definitely talked too much but perhaps you could try and fit consternation, pranayama and marsala into an alphabet sentence?

9 comments:

Robert said...

I'll try the recipe this weekend, but can't say I'm not dissapointed at you using breast. By far the better flavour comes from thighs. Bones give so much more flavour than mammories. As a serious chef don't you agree? Them bones them bones..

Carolyn Cornthwaite said...

Hi Robert - thanks for your comments. I totally agree that the thighs have a better flavour which is why I always buy a full chicken and we ate the legs and thighs last night in a delicious tagine. Now I can make stock. However, the Saltimbocca is a beautiful way to make the most of the breast meat - the delicate peppery flavour of the basil and the rich saltiness of the prosciutto really bring the chicken to life and cooking gently like this - in stock and alcohol ensures the meat stays tender. I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you try it but let me know.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I will try this tomorrow. Maybe a tagine recipie from you for the day after?

Carolyn Cornthwaite said...

Hmmm, Tagine is always good - I have lots of recipes so will stagger a few over the next few weeks - or maybe months. I have summery ones and some great ones for winter.

Claireybelle said...

Most consternated people find that a good dose of warm water and brown sugar soon has them all regular again. Hope that helps!!
SPAM recipes please :)

Carolyn Cornthwaite said...

Claireybelle - I fear you may misconstrue - this is not the meaning of consternation. By all means have a go at an alphabet sentence though.

Robert said...

Did it tonight.
The fresh basil was excellent.
So too was the crispy Prosciutto.

Claire-face said...

Having a good giggle at your blogs but confused as to what an alphabet sentence is? ;-/

Carolyn Cornthwaite said...

Hi Claire-face, thanks for reading y blog. An alphabet sentence is something you construct when you can't sleep (though you're still allowed to play if you don't suffer from insomnia). Each subsequent word in the sentence has to start with the next letter of the alphabet, for example 'After braving cold dishwater Ella found gold herrings in Julie's...'. JHeys (a fellow recovering insomniac) also plays double alphabet sentences so you get 'Although Albert bought Betty's cream cakes daily, David envied...'
Actually it doesn't help you sleep but it does pass the time.