Thursday 18 August 2011

Game Two - Things you only know if you work from home.


Let’s start with the buttons at the bottom of the page – the ones that ask you what you think of my blog. Well, to be honest ‘cool’ (one of yesterday’s options) is not a word I would use – these were the buttons foisted upon me by the powers that be at Blogger. Now, a day wiser in the blogging field, and I realise I can change these options. Please note the new option ‘zeitgeist’ far more one of my words and also topical – fellow insomniacs could try using it at the end of an alphabet sentence – certainly more interesting than zoo and zebra.
            Regarding the alphabet sentence game – please don’t feel that you should miss out if you are lucky enough to sleep well each night – post your sentence even if in truth you wrote it through the day – I look forward to reading a wide selection.
            So, things you only know if you work from home or are retired (and happen to be at home rather than in Spain or lunching in Harrods) – firstly you know when a fox is eating your chickens. This is a good thing – last time a fox decided to eat my chickens I was at work. It was a gloriously sunny day and I’d cycled to work then taken an extra-long route home in order to benefit from the sunshine – only to be treated on my return to the site of feathers and corpses decorating my lane and driveway. That day I jumped off my bike, picked up the nearest corpse and, cradling it like a baby, sat at the top of my drive and cried. I had half hoped someone would find me and comfort me but, living in the middle of nowhere, this was unlikely. Anyway, yesterday I was working from home so was instantly aware of the fox from the din my hens were making.
            This was rather like one of the scenes from a horror movie – my chickens kicked off a good ten minutes before the fox appeared in full – it must have been lurking in the long grass or the bushes, tormenting them and me. I kept going out, wandering round my house, trying to calm my chickies and put said fox off its intended lunch. You end up in a state of limbo – every time you sit back at your desk you hear the chickens and cockerel crowing with fear and you jump up again – not sure whether to continue typing or go and have another futile look.
            About ten minutes into this game the stakes changed – now my chickens were running. I dashed onto my verandah only to catch sight of the fox sprinting past me intent on catching one of my babies. I did my usual fox prevention act – which normally works a treat – standing on my verandah screaming and shouting obscenities (not sure if the fox understands but they make me feel better) and flapping my hands noisily. My throat hurts afterwards but – until yesterday – it has always worked. This time it did not.
            The fox continued in its pursuit managing to grab one of my young Marans by the tail. I ran across the grass until I was maybe two metres from the fox who was still trying to de-feather my friend. I had only one option – I threw my car keys (for I was actually due to leave the house), managing to hit it on the head. (From a health and safety point of view I should point out that this is not a recommended deterrent – especially when the fox is in long grass standing next to a stream though on this occasion the fox did scarper and my keys were located quickly and unharmed.)
            On a lighter note, the second thing you only know if you work from home is how nice your bin-men are. Mine are lovely and they really brightened my post-lunch reverie.
            Lastly, I thought I would close by telling you about last-night’s sleep-inducing game, reminded to me by my youngest sister but I fear I have written enough for one day. So, a taster for tomorrow – I shall begin with binary and no, it does not help you sleep.

2 comments:

Claireybelle said...

I still have no buttons!
I hadn't even thought of zoo let alone zeitgeist for the game!
Foxes eat my chickens whilst I'm at work!! What hens?
Some bin men are nice... some can only work within their remit which seems to involve a lot of fags!

plin said...

I think you paint wonderful pictures with words it is brill