Tuesday 27 September 2011

I Can Multitask - but sometimes I think I shouldn't


Look closely and you can see the chain marks
I like to multitask; I think it’s the mark of an active mind and I’m pleased that I can do it. That said there are definitely times when I should just focus on one thing. Like cooking; I adore cooking but I also like to chat and many a meal has suffered because of this. Now I pay more attention.
            Cycling is another activity that requires my full focus – I’m fully aware of that and consider myself a fairly proficient cyclist – I know the danger spots, wouldn’t dream of cycling with headphones, always wear reflective gear. This is when I’m on the move, when I’m stationary I expect that I can do other things.
            I went for a bike ride today, I have to – I’ve entered a race in November and the last time I cycled was July. So as you can imagine, I’m on a tight training schedule in a desperate attempt to become race-worthy in five weeks. I love training, I love the feeling afterwards when you think you’ve done a good thing and you actually deserve your dinner but I don’t like the last 700 metres. I live on a hill, it’s actually 1.2 miles to the bottom (or the top whichever way you look at it) and those last 1925 metres home are positive agony. I can will myself through the first 1200 – I have to, they’re in the public eye – but as soon as I round the last bend (pass the last house) I allow myself a breather. It’s a bad habit. I should try and break it but some days I feel it is the only way to get me over that last hurdle – and it is a steep 700 metres.
            I always stop in the same place. If I’m running you’ll find me bent double (my legs look thinner from that angle) or if I’m on my bike I’ll have my left foot up on the kerb, maybe sipping my last drop of water. Today I stopped just as normal but, recalling that I’d had a text about five minutes previously, I decided to check my phone. It makes it look more legitimate that way – like you’re not nearly dead – you’re just taking an important call. Now this shouldn’t be a problem, I was stationary remember – and youths can text whilst cycling, in traffic, with headphones on (don’t try it, it is dangerous). I’ve watched professional cyclists cycling along, one arm extended into a med-car whilst the team doctor stitches a gash, just so that they maintain their position in a race – so pulling over, unclipping your left foot and balancing on the kerb (which is at perfect height) so that you can read your text is easy. It has to be. I’ve done it before.
My knee took the fall
            Today was different. I’m not entirely sure what happened next but I think maybe I leaned into my right hand as I tried to work my phone – and my right foot was still clipped into the pedal. Suddenly I could feel myself falling to the right but – clipped in as I was – I was unable to stop myself. Until my right knee hit the ground, my phone flew across the road and the bike chain managed to slice an interesting pattern into the back of my left leg.
            Luckily I don’t think there were any witnesses.

No comments: