Tuesday 6 September 2011

It's not so much worrying about life's problems that matters, rather we should let our problems solve us....


French Bread
I heard this on Pause for Thought again (I know, I’m a Radio Two bore) but it really spoke volumes. It was Father Brian D’Arcy who was talking yesterday on my way back from my morning swim and his words really moved me. His actual ending was,
And you can read the full passage by clicking on the link (though I don’t know how long Radio Two keep them live for).
            I can’t think of truer words and the idea of just going with the flow – turning your boat round and going in the opposite direction if the current is too strong – at least sounds peaceful, even if you don’t believe it’s the answer.
            So for all you fellow thinkers and insomniacs who perhaps find life’s problems are forever waking you up – if you are thinking of just leaving the problems to sort your life out you could enjoy your rest-time by making some French bread. Now I know, it doesn’t look at all like the baguettes you buy in pretty pink bakeries over there (I’m sure they’re not all pink but my newly passive mind likes the weak alliteration) indeed, I would soon lose my job or my business if that’s what I tried to serve en France and, in the absence of true French flour (less protein) it doesn’t taste exactly like a baguette from across la Manche but, believe me, if you follow this recipe it will be heaps better for you than any of that stuff you buy from your local supermarket bakery and a lot tastier too. And if you’re still not convinced then at least I’ve managed to fit a sentence of 106 words into today’s Blog.
I got my recipe from Liz Herbert’s book, bread and if you’re at all interested in making bread it is one of the best books I’ve come across. I’ve got my copy on permanent repeat from my local library.
French Bread
Ingredients:
350g Strong white bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
115g plain white flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1½ tsp fast action dried yeast
300ml water
Here’s what I do:
Tip the yeast in the bottom of a mixing bowl (use your mixer/food processor to start if you have one) then add the flours, salt, sugar and mix together. Gradually add the water and mix to a soft dough – as with the last bread recipe you need to hang back at the end, you just want to be sure to clean the sides of the bowl and you may not need to use the last few drops. Knead in your mixer for around five minutes (if you’re not using a mixer then you need to skip straight to the hand part) then tip it out onto an un-floured work surface (I know this can be hard as it’s wet but believe me you have to persevere), just keep kneading and eventually it will go silky and elastic. This is why you’re doing it – not just the great taste and additive-free food but the therapy of making your own bread.
            When it’s a lovely, silken, elastic ball lightly oil a large mixing bowl and put it in the bottom. Cover with cling-film or a damp tea-towel and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size; meanwhile grease and flour two baking sheets.
            Divide the dough into two and, without knocking back (losing all the air) roll one half with a dusted rolling pin. I know that sounds odd but if you try it a few times you’ll get the idea – you’re being really gentle with the air in the dough but rolling it into a rectangle at the same time. According to Liz you want a rectangle about 38x30 cm – I’ve never managed this but it hasn’t spoilt my bread. Go with how your dough is working, so long as it’s thin, still airy and roughly rectangular (as large as you can manage) you’ll get some lovely baguettes.
            Now roll up tightly from the long edge and pinch the seams together. Place diagonally on the baking sheet seam side down and make deep diagonal slashes in the bread about 6cm apart (you don’t need a ruler). Repeat with the rest of the dough. Leave to prove until doubled in size again.
            Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 and place a large shallow baking dish in the bottom of the oven and fill it with boiling water. This will make the oven all steamy and gives the bread its characteristic crust. Dust the breads with a little flour and bake for 20 minutes until golden. These need eating same day but freeze brilliantly so always make more than you need and get the spares in the freezer.

No comments: