Sunday 5 February 2012

I Love Swinging...


I do, I admitted it to Rob one afternoon in Tesco – to approving nods from other shoppers. I especially like it when I get to the bumps but I believe this makes Rob feel sick. And also he says I shouldn’t talk about it in public – apparently people can get the wrong idea.
            I don’t think I’m alone in saying that there are few better delights than going to the local park and enjoying the feeling of lightness and giddiness that rapidly takes over when you get on a swing and swing. I learnt from a young age, thanks to a wonderful Dad who was great at physics, how to propel myself backwards and forwards with nothing but the use of my legs and no need for a ‘pusher’ in sight. I had to learn this because my Grandad (a keen bowler) would take me to the park on our fortnightly visits and leave me at the swings whilst he went and partook in a game of bowls. Yes I was only four and yes he was out of sight but nothing ever went wrong and I had a fabulous time. And learned to swing. And learned to be brave, have initiative and think for myself. And countless other skills that are sadly being forgotten as today’s youngsters are chaperoned everywhere, cushioned from falls and haven’t even heard of the bumps never mind tried jumping off when one reaches them.
            Anyway, one of the best things about nieces is being able to take them to the park so that I can enjoy the delights of (almost) weightlessness. Sadly, as my nieces have grown and progressed to the big swings and, since most parks are equipped with only two of the big swings, I do now have to wait my turn on the swing but I still get to enjoy the moment at least a couple of times a month. And my sister gets sick as she watches my dizzying heights and hopes that her lovely daughters won’t ever learn how to be just so skilled at the art of propelling oneself upwards and outwards on two pieces of chain and a plank of rubber.
            I can get to the bumps (the point where you leave the seat and your arms and the chain make a kind of snapping motion) in seconds and, according to my ever optimistic and equally competitive elder niece, so can she – but actually I am going higher, faster and better than she. And she doesn’t know how to access my blog so she can’t argue.
            But there are things I can no longer do – my teenage years were spent on a whole range of parks seemingly trying to beat the laws of gravity by propelling oneself and one’s friends in a multitude of ways. I’ve jumped off roundabouts as they speed round at 30mph and flown 100s of metres through the air as I let go of the swing right at the top of the bumps and I never so much as stubbed a toe. But can I do it now? No. Instead my knuckles whiten as I secure my grip on the swing and I can’t even manage to get the roundabout travelling so fast never mind let go of it.
            And thinking of things I can’t do – my niece spent 30 minutes trying to teach me how to knee-skid last week and the most I can manage is some kind of feeble, half-hearted affair on one knee. If I were planning to propose to someone (it is a leap-year) then I guess it could be useful but, as it is, I just look like some kind of scaredy-cat-chicken who daren’t give-in to the slide. Peter Kay can do it (and he’s got to weigh a bit more than me) and Bruce Springsteen isn't afraid; so if they can cope without damaging their kneecaps what is holding me back? Surely I’m not turning into a Grown-Up?

No comments: