Thursday 19 January 2012

London Calling

Great things to do in London
As I mentioned yesterday, I adore London. There is so much to do and no matter how many times you visit there is still something new to see. I realise Londoners themselves may not feel the same but actually my dream-job would see me with enough money to rent an apartment in Southwalk with a view of the Thames – just for a couple of years, not forever – I think two years would sate my appetite for the lifestyle and then I could retire somewhere quieter. Feel free to email me if you think you have the job for me!
​For those of you who haven’t been for a while I’m including here two of my favourite venues – one free, one paid-for. The best way to do London is via train, look for the cheap first-class tickets that are sold on the weekend, then stay a night in one of the cheaper hotels or simply return on the late train. If you are driving then you can get great deals at even the better hotels (Holiday Inn Express for instance) just around the outskirts – choose the most appropriate stop for you. I chose Watford Junction which has great access from the North of England (via the M1), London is then just a 20 minute train journey away. A day travel card will cost you around £15 and covers you for train, tube and bus. There are plenty of good eateries nearby (we went to a fabulous Indian) or you can eat in London and catch a later train back. If you are eating in London then the pubs around Leicester Square do great deals on pie and bottles of wine and London has got to have some of the best pubs in the world (in terms of olde-worlde architecture and atmosphere).
​We started Sunday morning at Leighton House, via the underground stop at Notting Hill Gate. It’s a long detour, down Portobello Road but well worth the walk if you haven’t visited the area before. Portobello Rd itself is full of great shops at knockdown prices – I bought a lovely dress there – just beware of the prices in cafes. We stopped in a lovely deli and had the best espressos since returning from France and shared a pastry. The bill for this meagre treat was £12.50! Should you wish to take the shorter route to Leighton House then get off at Kensington High Street. The house was the former home and studio of the leading Victorian artist, Frederic, Lord Leighton (1830-1896) and ticks all the boxes when it comes to interior decoration and artwork. I much prefer to see art in-situ rather than in art galleries where I feel bombarded by the information. Yes the Louvre and the National Gallery have their place but in houses like this you can while away an hour or so and get a feel for the life and times rather than just admire the artwork. The downstairs is amazing, The Arab Hall is (exactly as the website describes) the centerpiece of the house and we lingered by the fountain for an age – it would certainly be a great place to visit in the heat of summer, naturally cool and stunningly beautiful. It’s £5 per adult but well worth the small expenditure
​Our afternoon was spent at The Wallace Collection; housed in Hertford House on Manchester Square. It’s open 10-5pm and is absolutely free. The square is just behind Oxford Street, if you nip up the side of Debenhams and stick to Maryleborne Road then you can’t go wrong. Everything is stunning in there, we have now visited twice and will definitely go again – you cannot possibly take in everything in one go. If we lived in London I’ve no doubt we’d go every fortnight. The rooms are opulent, the furniture and clocks are a delight and the vast array of ceramics, paintings, miniatures are impossible to view in even 5 visits. The Armoury includes two and a half thousand items – the most exquisite collection of guns, swords, shields you can imagine. I am not the kind of person who spends ages in such rooms, I’ve whipped through the armoury at The Tower of London and I believe there’s a small one in Lancaster Museum which I’ve also found uninspiring but this collection is quite something else. Each piece of weaponry is outstandingly beautiful, you could visit for an hour and never leave these rooms. If you only have one day in London, you absolutely must add The Wallace Collection to your itinerary. It’s free, easy to find, close to the shops and extremely absorbing.
​I am writing today’s blog on the move. I will add links, photographs and a recipe tomorrow.

No comments: